"In all of us there is a hunger, marrow deep to know our heritage - to know who we are and where we came from. Without this enriching knowledge there is a hollow yearning. No matter what our attainments in life, there is still a vacuum, an emptiness, and the most disquieting loneliness".



ALEX HALEY, ROOTS



Saturday, January 8, 2011

Harriet Sutton Savage Heath

Harriet is a such a sad story, but every ones story should be told.
Harriets Parents were Elihu Sutton and Caroline Call .  She was born in Indiana or New York. I think it was Indiana because her parents were married there. 

In my last post I mentioned Harriet and her husband George were living in Woodbine Twp. Jo Daviess County IL in 1870.  Well, Harriet's parents were also living nearby.
We know this is Harriet's family because in the 1880 census George is living with his In-Laws.
Harriets first husband was Thomas Savage. Their marriage is listed in Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
as having occurred on two separate dates April 20, 1859, and April 20, 1863. 
Because they are married in the 1860 Census. I believe the first date to be correct.


Thomas and Harriet had one daughter, Arminda (born 1861). Then
Thomas was called to war. He was  mustered in at Old Ripley Illinois. 
Thomas Savage was killed in the Civil War.
I believe that Thomas Savage immigrated from Ireland in 1851. 


Sometime between 1861 and 1865 Harriet came back to Northern Illinois. I'm not sure where her parents Elihu and Caroline are living in 1860. But I think it may be Kendall County IL. 
Harriet married George Heath in 1865, and had four more children John (born 1866), Caroline (born 1868), Bertha (born 1870), and  Charles (born 1873). I believe that Harriet died shortly after the birth of Charles. She was approximately 29 years old.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruby,

    I found your blog through a "Google Alert" I have sent up on my computer for Kendall County. This is so very interesting. I really want to learn how you have been able to locate all of this information. I hope you can give me lesson sometime next month. In the mean time, I will stay turned to your blog.

    Lynn Dubajic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruby,

    You found my blog, and posted a comment about Elihu Sutton being from David H. Sutton and Lucy Wells.

    please go here
    http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.sutton/3822/mb.ashx

    I do not think he is a son. I think his father is Elihu Sutton who was living in Kendall County in 1850 and he is living with Caroline in his fathers house. If he is 35 in this census then that would mean he was born in 1815 and David and Lucy were not married until 1817. All of David and Lucys children were born in Ohio, and your Elihu was born in NY. David H. never lived in NY.

    Thanks for looking at my blog.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete