"In all of us there is a hunger, marrow deep to know our heritage - to know who we are and where we came from. Without this enriching knowledge there is a hollow yearning. No matter what our attainments in life, there is still a vacuum, an emptiness, and the most disquieting loneliness".



ALEX HALEY, ROOTS



Saturday, December 4, 2010

Shade Boling

Melvina Gibbs Boling & Shade Boling
Unfortunately I never met Grandpa Boling either. He died on January 9, 1961. Just two days before my sister Tammy was born. Its sad that he never saw her, because she resembles him more than any of us.

Grandpa Boling was born in Tennessee on May 15th. I have several different years of birth for him ranging from 1886-1888. So I just split the difference and say 1887!

Family legend says that this side of the family has native American blood. Some even speculate about  a relationship to Pocahontas. Who knows? 

I believe Grandpa Boling married my Grandmother Melvina Gibbs (Daughter of Thomas John Gibbs and Martha Branton) sometime before 1907, because my Uncle William Harrison Boling was born in December of 1907.

From what my Mother tells me, her father was kind and gentle. 
I don't know much about him, other than that during World War I he was living in Ohio working at Peters Cartridge Company. And during World War II he was living in Chicago. I think that the family moved around during the depression looking for work. But home base was in Walland Tennessee where my Mother was born. 

                       
My Grandfather used to work in a "Chair Factory" in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. It think  that I remember seeing it when I was young, and it was more of a barn than a factory. My Mother told me that while working there my Grandpa cut off two of his fingers and walked back to the house. I do know that according to the World War I draft registration card he was missing two fingers, so this story sounds accurate. But once I started to do my own Genealogical research I realized that she must have heard the story from someone, because it happened at least 20 years before her birth.
My Aunt Mattie gave my Mother one of the chairs that my Grandpa had made, and she passed it on to me. It is one of my most cherished possessions.      

 Shade Boling
 The only photographs I have of my Grandfather were taken late in his life. If anyone has any of him young I would LOVE to see them!
                                                       

3 comments:

  1. Shade Boling is my Grandfather, George Elliott Boling's brother. My grandfather died October 29, 2002. My Grandfathers birthdate is December 10, 1918. My Great Uncle Shade had other siblings (these are the only ones my Father, Kenneth Elliott Boling can recall): Jack Boling, Mary Boling (Bell), and Sally Boling (Balls-she married Willy Bells). Both sisters lived in Sevierville, TN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction::: Shade Boling is my Grandfathers Uncle. Shade Boling had a brother named John Boling, which was my Grandfather George Elliott Boling's Father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry that that I just saw this comment. If you are on ancestry.com you are welcome to look at my tree it is public. I will ask my mother about George Elliot, he would be one of her cousins.

    ReplyDelete