"In all of us there is a hunger, marrow deep to know our heritage - to know who we are and where we came from. Without this enriching knowledge there is a hollow yearning. No matter what our attainments in life, there is still a vacuum, an emptiness, and the most disquieting loneliness".



ALEX HALEY, ROOTS



Monday, December 13, 2010

Alta Violet Clinger Heath

Alta Violet Clinger was my Great Grandmother. She was born on April 17, 1882 in Wisconsin. She was the daughter of John Alexander Clinger and Elma J."Ella" McCartney.

She married Charles Henry Heath on March 11, 1897 in Grant County Wisconsin. Her marriage license says her birthplace was Lancaster Wisconsin. It also has her Mother's name as Alma, although I'm pretty sure is was Elma. Other information on the marriage license includes the witness as Dora Oates. And the "person pronouncing marriage" as T.J. Baldwin of Lancaster Wisconsin. 

By the 1900 they were living in Iowa.
I believe that Alta and Charley had 5 children total. The 1900 census lists a child named George. By 1907 there is no record of George. 

The other children were : Archie Ray Heath born in 1899, Clara born in 1902, Albert born in 1905. And Roy, birth year unknown.

December 30, 1907 Alta died. She was only 25. My Aunt Myrtle who was married to Archie "Ray" Heath said that they were living in a house with no windows and she caught cold. I assume she heard this from her husband or his father Charles.

I found this article in the paper that seems to corroborate her story.

I don't have any KNOWN photos of Alta Clinger Heath. I do however have pictures that are unknown, so there is always hope. Two of those photos are on the right.



This is a picture of 3 of Alta and Charley's sons with their wives taken in 1953. On the left is Archie "Ray" Heath and next to him is his wife Myrtle Sprague Heath.  I cannot say for certain who is who with the others
 

 
 Alta is buried in Bellevue Iowa. Some where along the Mississippi River.

1 comment:

  1. Ruby, this may be a duplicate of what I just wrote. I don't see it here. If it is, just delete it.
    OK so as it relates to Alta's death. I believe that Roy was Born in 1899 and Ray in 1907. I was told by grandma and aunt myrtle that Alta died 5 days after giving birth to Ray. She caught pneumonia and died when he was 5 days old. Aunt myrtle told me that was why Ray feared her having children , (though I don't think that's the only reason they had none). I'm fairly certain of these facts because they came from direct family of Alta. I always thought it was a sad story. Tammy

    ReplyDelete