"In all of us there is a hunger, marrow deep to know our heritage - to know who we are and where we came from. Without this enriching knowledge there is a hollow yearning. No matter what our attainments in life, there is still a vacuum, an emptiness, and the most disquieting loneliness".



ALEX HALEY, ROOTS



Friday, December 3, 2010

Reuben Thompson Crosley III

I never knew my Grandpa Crosley, he died when I was 9 months old.
I have always been interested in what his life was like.
He was born in Colorado on April 2, 1896. His parents, my Great Grandparents Jesse Walker Crosley and Elizabeth Wire Atkinson seemed to go back and forth from Colorado to Wisconsin. I'm not sure why this was.
At times the family was also in Nebraska.
Grandpa Crosley fought in WWI. After his death, my Grandma Crosley received this document signed by President Lyndon B. Johnson.
 
                   My Grandparents did not marry until the early 1930's
              They had 2 sons. My Uncle, George Fay born July 11, 1934.
George Fay Crosley
                    And my Dad, Eugene Walter born February 7, 1936

Eugene Walter Crosley

   I don't have too many pictures of my Grandpa Crosley. I think this may have been one of the last ones taken before his death in September 1964.

This is a picture from a family gathering on my Dads side.
I think it was taken in Wisconsin around 1940.


I still haven't been able to find out who everyone is in this picture, but here's what I know. From left to right around the table.. Reuben Thompson Crosley III, he is holding Eugene Walter Crosley, Unknown female (perhaps a Clinger, McCartney or Cook?) Unknown female (same names), Unknown man standing (Same names), Clara Heath Crosley, Charles Henry Heath, Unknown Man standing. Children seated, Kermitt Schaffner, Elinor (Tyke) Heath, George Crosley, Milda Knebel Heath (standing), Delores Heath, Archie Ray Heath, and Myrtle Sprague Heath (sitting). So it seems to be a Heath family gathering. Just a note, if you look closely people are likely to be looking at 2 separate cameras. Half the people are looking one way, and half are looking the other way. Any help would be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment